SC Adopt-a-Stream Chemical & Physical Workshop at the Greenville Zoo
March 20th 2019 (
- 3:30 PM
Come out & become a certified SC Adopt-a-Stream volunteer!
SC Adopt-a-Stream aims to create a network of watershed stewardship, engagement, and education through involvement. SC AAS volunteers are extremely important in watershed management because they can monitor the water quality and provide a baseline for stream conditions that can then be utilized to track changes in the stream.
You do not need to be an environmentalist, fisherman, or scholar to join this effort. All are welcome to find more information, seek training, and add to the knowledge base of river health in South Carolina!
This workshop focuses on Physical/Chemical and Bacteria Monitoring and you'll learn the proper protocol for measuring parameters such as pH, conductivity, dissolved oxygen, E.coli counts and how to assess a habitat. The first half of the workshop will consist of an indoor portion with lectures and learning more about each of these parameters. After a short lunch break, the group will head outside to conduct the tests with guidance from the instructor.
Once you are certified as an AAS volunteer, you will have access to monitoring kits near you that you can borrow to go out, get your feet wet, and start collecting data!
The SC AAS website can be found HERE
Get your (free) tickets HERE
Please contact Olivia Dunn at [email protected] with any questions that you may have.
We can't wait to see you at the Zoo!
A few notes about Wednesday, March 20th:
- This event will happen rain or shine
- Please bring identification to enter the Greenville Zoo (free of charge with registration)
- Please bring lunch for the break. There will also be access to the concession stand at the Greenville Zoo that provides basic provisions such as hot dogs and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, and drinks.
- The Greenville Zoo does NOT allow any glass to enter onto the premises
- Dress appropriately- shoes that can get wet, boots or waders
Add Event p>